Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Man Cookies & Their Tutorial

Last weekend, Gantt went with some of his buddies to Destin for his friend's bachelor's party. Of course I wanted to make some sweet snacks for the trip. I decided I wanted to make some manly bachelor cookies. What could be more manly than an ice cold mug of beer? After a long hard search for a beer shaped mug, bottle, anything cookie cutter and not finding anything, I decided I would just have to make my own cookie cutter. {For those of you who know me well know that once I get some project in my head, I can't just let it go so easily!} To do this, I drug Gantt to Home Depot in search of the materials. Here's what you need:
  • aluminum flashing: you can buy this in a roll, but for one cookie cutter, that would have been expensive, so I just bought the $0.64 corner piece
  • gorilla glue
  • either some metal cutting scissors or some dull scissors you'll never use again
  • some twine
  • some clips
  • and a print out picture of the shape you want

Step 1: First, take a long piece of twine and measure all the way around your picture. And yes, that means even the little frothy bubbles. You need to do this in order to see how long your flashing needs to be. If you are using the roll flashing, you can skip the next step, but if not then move on down!


Step 2: Take whatever measurement you had around your picture and add about two inches. This will give you some wiggle room for shaping and gluing the pieces together.

Step 3: Measure out the width you want your cutter to be. I opted for about 1" thick.


Step 4: Cut the flashing. If you did the strip method like me, then make sure you cut enough strips to go the length of the design plus the two inches. If you are using a flashing roll, then you should have one long piece. WARNING!!!!! Cutting the flashing is dangerous! The edges are very sharp so be extra careful!

Step 5: Start forming your shape. This will take a little time and patience. I used pencils and other utencils to help me shape the beer mug. If you used the strips like I did, Just form the mug in sections. While trying to form the shape, clip the edges of the strips together to get a better idea of what it will look like. Keep playing with it until you get it just right. I would occasionally outline the shape to see if when I iced it, if would or could turn out like I wanted it.



Step 6: Once you have the shape like you want it, it's gorilla glue time. For those of you who have never used gorilla glue, it's pretty powerful stuff so be careful not to get it on anything other than the cookie cutter. I used gorilla glue specifically because after a little reserach I found that it was safe to use on eating utensils. {I didn't want to make the boys any cookies that could potentially be poisonous!} Using just a little glue, glue the edges together and secure with a clip. Let it dry overnight.

Step 7: Bake some cookies!

I used my favorite roll out cookie recipe and royal icing recipe to bake and decorate the cookies. I used a technique called "flooding" which is so much fun!

Roll Out Cookies:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup of butter, room temp
  • 2 cups of white granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions:

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Cream sugar and butter together until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla until mixed in. Add in dry ingredients. Cover dough and chill for at least an hour if you are going to roll out without cling wrap. {I find it easier to roll things out in between a piece of wax paper and cling wrap! It's not so sticky and you don't have to chill before hand in order to roll out!}
Roll dough out to about 1/8" thick and cut with cookie cutter.
Bake for 6-8 minutes or until you see the edges start to brown. Let them cool before icing.

Tip: Sugar cookies and roll out cookies are not the same. When using a cookie cutter to make cookies and you want them to keep their shape, use a roll out sugar cookie recipe. Also, After you cut the cookies out, stick them back in the fridge right before putting them in the oven. This will also, help them keep their shape when baking.

And here are the man cookies throught the icing process:








Update: none of the cookies survived the weekend.

0 comments: